Sunday, November 2, 2008

PODD & Partner Assisted Communication

Partner Assisted Communication is a technique developed and promoted by Linda Burkhardt and Gayle Porter. The basic idea behind the system is receptive vocabulary. A student is asked a series of questions about a page and the partner looks for a affirmative response. This type of system is perfect for students who are physically challenged and cannot use a dynamic display device, or for any student who is non-verbal. It is low-tech, requiring only paper, and a binder to hold it.

One such system is Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display (PODD) developed by Gayle Porter. This system is a very organized way to use Partner Assisted Communication. The partner systematically asks the student a series of questions to navigate from page to page. The page numbers are listed on every button, as well as color coded to assist the partner.

This is a great communication system for all students who are starting out, and need a system fast. Here are several more resources about PODD:


Partner Assisted Communication Strategies for children who face multiple challenges


PODD Communication Books


Patrick

3 comments:

  1. I am deaf. I have an autistic hearing son who uses PODD communication book for nearly 2 years now so I am wondering when will it be in Digital.

    I was told it will be in 2011 but when??? we need PODD communication book in Digital now! so that My autistic son can use it for communication instead of carry heavy PODD book with him all times .....

    E-mail me at conjhans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say that I have no idea if they are making a electronic version. I can contact the developer and see if that's in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am deaf. I have an autistic hearing son who uses PODD communication book for nearly 2 years now so I am wondering when will it be in Digital.

    I was told it will be in 2011 but when??? we need PODD communication book in Digital now! so that My autistic son can use it for communication instead of carry heavy PODD book with him all times .....

    E-mail me at conjhans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete